Re-new passport in China

3 messages - 4257 views Feed-icon
Hello, my current passport will suffice for my one year contract. I plan to stay in China for several years. Can Canadians re-new their passport in China, thier webiste does not seem to have the answer. Has anyone done this?
thanks
http://canadaonline.about.com/od/travel/a/embchina.htm

This is a list of places you might be ablt to email your question to for help :)
I Have.

I have been here 7 years, and though possible, the Canuck Gov doesn't make it easy......

First you have to get yourself and your old passport to either Beijing or Guangzhou. Then you need to fill out paperwork etc and turn over your old passport.

They also require notary signatures, proof of who you are (ridiculous) and a bunch of other crap which all just equates to $$$$. Then you have to wait 15 days without a passport before you can go back and pick up your new one.

A thoroughly annoying prospect. It is also possible to do it in Hong Kong, however, the 15 days you don't have a passport, you wont be able to come back into mainland China......

Cost me in total around 4000rmb all told.

I have been here 7 years so far, so I will have to do it again in a couple more years......

Sometimes it is better to be an American. There process is much easier and they can actually just have new pages sewn in, instead of going through the annoying red tape we Canucks do....... Though I suppose we don't have to leave the country every month like they do.....

But long story short, yes you absolutely can renew it here. But our wonderful government will make you jump through hoops for the "pleasure".....