ENGLISH STUDY LEADER

2 messages - 2652 views Feed-icon
It took me eleven months of teaching English as a second language in China to discover that in every classroom there is an English Study Leader. The designation comes from achieving the highest grade after examination from the Chinese English teacher.
The English Study Leader can be your assistant. Depending on the size of your class, you may even have two English Study Leaders. Ask who they are and write their names on the board and then ask them to assist you at the front of the classroom. They will dutifully stand with you as you conduct your class and with encouragement from you, will travel around the room guiding the other students in their study of the English language.
Prince, the English Study Leader in one of my classes, came to my rescue regularly and I was very grateful. I didn’t have a command of the Chinese language, so when a student didn’t fully comprehend my instructions, I would ask Prince to help with the interpretation. He liked translating instructions to those students whose English was at a lower level of comprehension.
When I asked Prince if he minded helping me, he said, “It is my honour and duty, Mrs. Black.”
Thank you Susan for all the insights you've added to the forum. Very helpful!