Credentials needed to teach in Taiwan..read!

5 messages - 5633 views Feed-icon

Hi All,

This was taken right from the Taiwan Ministry of Education website, so it is legit. Note the very last paragraph. If you're curious about what credentials you need to teach in Taiwan, this should answer all questions.

Chapter 4 Teaching Work
Article 40

Foreigners to be hired for teaching work specified in Article 46.1.3 of this Act should acquire teacher certificates that certify the qualifications for college or universities teachers.
Teachers hired by foreign- resident schools, teach foreign languages in foreign language centers, which are established under education organization above college level, are exempted from this requirement.Teachers teach foreign languages in foreign language centers, which are established under education organization above college level mentioned in the preceding Paragraph, should acquire formal degrees in colleges or universities either in this country or overseas that are recognized by the authority concerned at the central government level, and the languages they will be teaching should be the official languages of their visa countries, which are approved by the authority concerned at the central government level.

Article 41
Foreigners to be hired for teaching work specified in Article 46.1.3.2 & 46.1.3.3 of this Act should acquire formal degrees in colleges or universities either in this country or overseas that are recognized by the authority concerned at the central government level as well as the teaching qualification for the subjects they will be teaching.

Article 42
Foreigners to be employed as foreign language teachers as specified in Article 46.1.4 in the Act should meet with following requirements. The weekly working hours in the teaching-related work should be no less than 14 ( fourteen) hours.
1. Age: 20 or above.

2. Graduation certificate from colleges or above.

3. The language to be taught by the foreign employees should be the national language used in the country specified on the passport of the employees.
The foreign employees specified in the previous Paragraph, need to obtain qualification certificate for language teaching if the employees do not own bachelor degrees.
Though I am a qualified teacher, my wife is a high-school graduate with a TESOL course from Global Tesol. She had no problem at all finding employment at a bushiban (English language cram school) in Taiwan.
William, has your wife been able to successfully obtain a work pemit?

Or, has anyone else been able to do this recently?

Taiwan was top on my list until I was given the impression (hopefully misguided) that I needed a bachelor's degree to legally work.
William, could you please advise as to what a "cram" school is and possible contact information. I have a college diploma and was also under the impression that one had to have a degree in order to teach in Taiwan. Also are you aware as to whether there is an age limit for teachers in Taiwan?
There is a posting in the job bank posted today (April 1st) for Taiwan and a 2 year diploma plus a TESOL certificate is enough to get a work permit. This isn't necessarily the case in the larger cities, but in different counties where it is harder to get people to teach, this is often the requirement. So I hope this proves that a 2-year diploma is still enough.