Spain

1 message, no reply - 2579 views Feed-icon
>
> Is anyone thinking of going to Spain or has already been there?
> If you have let me know or please share some helpful tips.
> Thank you
>

Buenos dias! As promised, I thought I would share my recent experience of being in Spain. I guess firstly I'll say what an amazing place it is to be. I recommend it to people as a travel and cultural experience firstly. Work will come, but as you may be familiar with already, many European countries require their teachers to have an EU passport (meaning if you have a dual citizenship with an EU country, it's much easier to obtain work in an EU country). However, being in a country can increase your chances of finding work, and you may find that a school in Spain may be willing to petition to the government on your behalf to obtain working papers for you. I was in Spain in the high hiring season of October. This is the time that you will find schools more willing to hire North Americans because they need teachers to fill the demand (arrive in August/September to get settled). This is the legal way to find work. Working under the table is another option (though not legal of course) for people who have their hearts set on working in Spain. If you go prepared to cover living expenses while looking for work, you can network with other North Americans (and there are many especially Americans who are studying in some of Spain's largest cities), put up posters advertising that you are TESOL certified ( I saw many and judging from the phone numbers taken from the posters, this was a feasible way to go about getting Spanish students), and you can hit the pavement and possibly have a school pay you under the table. I leave the decision in ones hands to decide if this is what they want to do...I do know that many people do obtain work through these avenues and that quite honestly, it can be the easiest way for us norteamericanos to find work. If this is what you plan to do, visit and try for work while you're there, I suggest the larger cities of Madrid and Barcelona. These are cosmopolitan cities with lots of opportunities. I spent most of my time in the south (goal-->warmth!!) and found that the demand for English wasn't quite as high.

There are many links and articles on the Internet regarding teaching English in Spain. I found the most realistic one to be from Transitions Abroad...here they discuss how one can possibly get working papers and the reality of the large number of people making a go of it on their own.

It may seem daunting, but I can't express how worth it it is. If you know that Spain is where you want to be, then you just have to go for it. I loved the country; the people, the way of life, the language, their obvious love of family and friends and conversation, the architecture, the tapas and cheap drinks all made it so that I cannot wait to return!!

Savannah-GTC Head Office