My first teaching job in China after graduating from TESOL

3 messages - 4067 views Feed-icon
Hi, my name's Whitney. I graduated from a 120-hr TESOL course in August 2013, in Toronto.
Shortly after that, I was recruited by a private training school in Shanxi province, China, and started teaching there in Sept. 2013. The first month was very difficult for me to adjust. Not living in China, but teaching children for the first time. I found it very hard to relate to them and find my 'strength' in teaching. I cried a couple of times in distress, and it hurts very much when I see my colleague teaching naturally and very well. I lost 6 students in one month. I was surprised, as some of the students seemed really happy in my class. I just couldn't seem to do it. In result, my salary was cut from 8000 rmb to 5500 rmb per month. Nearing the end of October, I was starting to be good at teaching. I found my strength in drawing and creating fun activities for my students that involved artwork. This includes using comic strips, role play and flash cards- which I made by myself. Here's the kicker: Early in November, on the day which I was supposed to travel to Hong Kong and back to China for my Visa requirement, my boss spoke to me through a translator saying that I wasn't suitable for the job. They said they didn't have enough money to pay me as they didn't have enough students. I wasn't angry, but I think this was unfair. Especially when I just found my 'groove' in teaching. So on that day I found out I was travelling to Hong Kong and not coming back to China. I only had that one day to pack everything and say goodbye to my colleagues. As expected, a lot of tears were involved.
I'd love to work in China again. It's the best foreign country experience I've ever had. I speak basic Mandarin Chinese now, and the friends I made there and the students I taught will always be in my heart. I still feel sad and heartbroken, however, every time I see a teacher who is very experienced and good at teaching kids. I haven't made it that far yet. I'm still pondering if teaching is my passion, but hopefully the heartache will go away when I find my passion and work in a field that I'm really naturally good at. Always hoping for the best, Whitney.
Thank you for sharing this Whitney. Although it doesn't come naturally to you, the fact that you are trying and succeeding at something outside of your comfort zone, says a lot about your character. I think you'll be an effective teacher I hope you found a teaching position somewhere else.
Don't give up Whitney. There are many teachers who have never taught in the past who are doing well in China. If you are ready to try it again, we have several agents that provide plenty of support and can help to ease the first-time worries. Thousands of teachers have taught in China with great success.